Having a mental disability and trying to maintain independent living can be very difficult. One treatment that is increasing broad acknowledgment for its advantages is emotional support animals. These are different than service animals, which are trained to do certain tasks or give a service to their owners. Emotional support animals have no special guidance and don’t perform any particular service other than their presence. Service animals are exclusively dogs, cats and miniature horses, but we have seen other animals like pigs also registered.
Emotional support animals can help out their owners fight debilitating depression, relieve loneliness, and help ward off phobias, or help them stay peaceful in any stressful situations. Many government agencies are recognizing the need for such animals and are implemented measures into their laws to accommodate their presence in rentals that do not permit “pets.” Allowing an emotional support animal is often measured a reasonable accommodation and the law states that landlords should allow them, within reason.
A person must have a note from a licensed or certified mental health counselor or doctor stating the person has the disability and the animal provides emotional support benefiting the person with any disability. The animal doesn’t need precise working abilities to become and. emotional support animal.
In this article, I am discussing how an emotional support animal can help you not only during the vacations, but all year around.
Here are some advantages of spending time with your emotional support animal during the vacations:
- You will never be distant from everyone else. You will have a loyal friend and you won’t feel dismissed by relatives or having to “force” yourself to invest excessively energy with them just because you don’t want to be alone.
- He or she will provide you with enjoyment and you won’t invest so much time staring at the TV which is truly not an ideal way when you are suffering from uneasiness and depression.
- He will influence you to spend more time outside and exercise. Exercise is key not only for healthy weight, releases endorphins and serotonin that helps regulate your mind-set.
- He or she will challenge you to learn new things and your life will have a whole new importance.
- My top choice – he or she will be a source of unrestricted love.
For more information about how valuable a pet can be for treating many psychological and physical symptoms visit: www.pdscenter.com. The process is always quick and easy. Stay tuned for more articles on emotional support animals!